A gathering place to worship, pray, and hope together.
This is a place for married men with a love for God and Christian faith to talk about and support one another about homosexual desires, needs, and activities.

 


HE DIED FOR US!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Moved Out.....

Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin

A child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking before I knew it and as he grew
He said, "I’m gonna be like you, Dad,You know I’m gonna be like you"

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you comin home, Son,
I don’t know when,But we'll get together then,
You know we'll have a good time then.

My son turned ten just the other day
He said "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on lets play
Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,I got a lot to do"
He said "Thats okay"And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said "I’m gonna be like him, yeahYou know I’m going to be like him"

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy grew with the man on the moon
When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
But we'll get together then,
You know we'll have a good time then.

Well he came from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say,"Son, I’m proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy grew with the man on the moon
When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
But we'll get together then, Dad
You know we'll have a good time then.

I’ve long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said "Id like to see you if you don’t mind"
He said "Id love to Dad, if I could find the time.You see my new jobs a hassle, and the kids have the flu.But
It's sure nice talking to you, Dad,It's been sure nice talking to you........"
And as I hung up the phone it had occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me,My boy was just like me..............

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy grew with the man on the moon
When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
But we'll get together then, Dad
We're gonna have a good time then.

The cats in the craddle and the silver spoon
Little boy grew with the man on the moon
When you comin home, Son, I don't know when,
We're gonna have a good time then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This past weekend I moved out of my home. My wife helped me move to an apartment about six blocks from my home. At the advisement of her Christian counselor, I had to tell my 10 and 12 year old boys that their Daddy had violated his marriage vows, that I have hurt their mother, and that I was moving out this weekend.

Does any gay father know exactly the pain and the agony that I just put my kids through. As part of the stipulations, they were not allowed to ask me any direct questions. So I dropped a bomb and I left my home. That night I attended a support group for gay fathers. I was going nuts and needed the support of other guys who have been in the same situation as I have.

On Saturday, we shipped the boys off to my sister in laws, and we loaded up our pickup truck with the majority of my possessions. We dropped by a yard sale, and bought a love seat so my apartment wouldn't totally be empty. I have not been alone for over 14 years, so the silence of my new apartment was deafening. My access to the outside world, via the internet, has been temporarily cut off as I don't have a computer at home. I have my cell phone to get for communication, and I have a 1983 color TV, but no cable to record my favorite shows. Needless to say, this is an adjustment.........and it is NOT fun!!!

A new friend encouraged me to read the lyrics of the above song. That is SO me. I have been a jerk for a father. I have been so selfish and self-centered, that I have let the relationship with my children slide. This is not right. I have been wrong. Now is it too late? I don't really know......Dear God, I hope not!!!!! I love my children more than my own life, and there is nothing that I would not do for them. But I have been distracted......over finding out who I am and interfering in someone else's relationship. I have not been the father that I need to be.....and it REALLY sucks right now. My wife is SOOOO pissed at me. She sounds very hateful. It amazes me that the essense of Christianity is supposed to be love, and I see nothing but hate from her towards me. I messed up.....I have sinned....but don't crucify me in the process.

I am back to work......trying to help our nation's veteran's process their guilt over what they did in the war that they fought in. If I was very open with them, I am in no better shape then the clients that sit in the chair a few feet from me. The only difference is that I have a degree and am Licensed by my state to be classified as a "Professional".

I think it was a line from "Ferris Beuhler's Day Off" that states that "Life moves pretty fast". That is so true. It was just a few years ago, I was helping my wife change diapers and feeding my kids their bottle. Now they have a father that they barely know.....I need more time.

"The cats in the cradle and the silver spoon....."

PLEASE pray for me or drop me an email:

restoredvows@yahoo.com

RV

2 Comments:

Blogger Vic Mansfield said...

RV, that counselor's advice is about the dumbest, most unprofessional advice I've ever heard. Children that age can barely understand what "broken marriage vows" means.

AND it puts you totally as the "bad guy," which is not the most helpful thing for children. Yes, your bear much blame, yes, they need to know the truth. But their ages are young, and this is not the time to set them at odds with their father.

The moving out, the trouble in the marriage, these are adult concerns. The main thing the children need to know is that you both love them very much, you will both be there for them, always, and that this is not thier fault. Children always take on the blame.

Placing it all on you, however, is not helpful, either. When they are older, they can understand the fullness of the truth.

This sets them up for shame. I am sad you have such a poor counselor.

Forgive my rant. You are in my prayers, as they will be, too.

Shalom, Joe.

3/05/2007 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I agree with bear, this was some bad advice. How could you tell these children these very adult things and then not be allowed to answer their questions!?! Please find a new counselor. Peace.

3/06/2008 12:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 

About
One day, some people met who shared a common interest and a common problem.  Some of them lived far away from one another, and others in the same town.  All of them were married, had families and people they loved, and loved God and Jesus.  All of them had a common issue to tackle:  They are gay or bisexual but choose to respect God and their vows of marriage and the love of their family over their sexual desires.  Every day they must wake up and face a new day of choices and always make the right choices. 

Many times we fail, but always we try again to please the Lord.  Are you one of us?  Help us by helping yourself.  This is a place where you can be safe, anonymous, and completely open about your feelings and needs.  Share with us, and in sharing, heal and grow.


Click here to send us an e-mail

Resources (links)

Previous Posts 

  • My Journey, pt 2: an end and a beginning
  • My Journey, part 1
  • To Damaged Vows
  • "what hurts the most, pt 2"
  • "What Hurts the Most"
  • "My Immortal"
  • "What's Left of Me"
  • Friends.......
  • Everybody Hurts.......
  • Boston's "Long Time"
  • Archives 

  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • Exodus 15:26 (NIV)
    He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."